Monday, July 14, 2008

Cheesecake, Monsoons and Yummy Food with Friends

So, today was my first day at my internship and it was...interesting. I am doing my internship at maybe the perfect place for me...Cheesecake and Crime. It is a cheesecake bakery and a bookstore!! They specialize in mysteries, which isn't really my favorite genre, but it is awesome! I am their management intern, so I get to help out with all of the scheduling, marketing, purchasing, etc... Plus I get all the free cheesecake I could ever want. I think after today I could almost swear it off, but I know that won't be the case tomorrow. =] My supervisor, Liz, and I were all over the place today. CaC is new, less than a year old, so there is still a lot of marketing and such to be had. We ran errands, we worked on the schedule, we emailed clients, we worked on purchasing, we fixed the leaks in the roof...yeah monsoons...and by fix I mean move all the mrechandise out of the way and then call a roofer to come look at it. =] Regardless it got fixed. Hopefully. =]

I have also apparently managed to make an "enemy" today which was awkward. She feels threatened by me and that I am there to take her job. Could make it interesting. I also learned that I almost know more than the IT guy at the store with regards to computers and such. Hmmm...That made for an interesting day. Overall I am loving the job so far and I am really looking forward to all of the learning and growing I am being offered here. That and the free cheesecake, lets be honest. =]

So, let me tell you about rain in Vegas. Rain, you say? Yes. I am talking about picturing yourself as the coach of the winning Super Bowl team and having the cooler of water dumped on your head. Times about a million. Enough water that in about 5 minutes the streets are flooding and you can barely see 10 feet in front of you. Welcome to monsoon season in Vegas. It is crazy awesome!! Today, we are minding our own business in the kitchen putting cheesecake cookies in containers to go into the coolers when Liz walks out front to see the conditions I just described. It was so awesome, until I remembered that I had left some of my windows on my car down to keep it from getting too hot. So I am running upstairs to get my keys and then running out into the downpour to roll up my windows and then running back. Apparently, Mother Nature thought I needed another shower other than the one I had taken that morning. Oh well. Monsoon rains are awesome, but only last about 20 minutes so it was over a lot faster than I wanted it to be. Not fast enough to avoid those 4 leaks in the store, but whatever. =]

I ended the day at James' house cooking dinner and hanging out with friends. Shane is moving into James' house which I think is awesome!! Shane is going to school to become a massage therapist which I think is absolutely awesome! We have decided that James and I will cook the food and Shane will give us massages. It works out beautifully!! So, James and I cooked a really good Peach and Sweet Chili Sauce Pork Stir-fry which turned out better than we had hoped. I don't think there was any left over. I love cooking good food with good friends and having a relaxing evening to unwind.

0 comments: