Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Perfect Hollandiase and Life

I haven’t written in a while but believe me, I have good reason. I feel like I have homework coming out of my eyeballs these days.

(Clearly this could never happen, but metaphorically)

So, one of my favorite but only occasionally eaten breakfasts is Eggs Benedict. There is something just mouth-watering about it that makes it so wonderful, but only if it is done right.

For me, the part that truly makes it a complete dish and completely worth eating is the Hollandaise sauce. If the Hollandaise is not done right it ruins the dish. English Muffins and Canadian bacon can all be purchased and it is really not hard to poach an egg. All of the skill and most of the flavor come from the sauce.

The first time I tried to make a hollandaise it didn’t work. It is really not as easy as it seems. It is a delicate balance between egg yolks, the tiniest amount of water, lemon juice, melted butter, seasonings. It takes practice and attentiveness, because the eggs need to be cooked to just the right consistency before you add the butter or the sauce will break.

Why am I talking about Eggs Benedict and Hollandaise sauce you ask? I am an epicurean and I think about food a lot.

(Clearly.)

I was in class the other day making Smoked Shrimp Eggs Benedict (which was fabulous by the way) and almost ready for service except for the Hollandaise. I am lost in my own little world and I start thinking about everything I have left to do for the quarter and looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was beginning to feel really overwhelmed about the time I was supposed to be adding the butter and it hit me, I am lacking balance. Not the hop on one leg without falling over kind of balance, but in the balance of my life.

There is too much stress and not enough fun.
Too much work and not enough play.
Too much and not enough.

It is so easy to break a Hollandaise and just as easy to break the life path.
I am approaching off kilter and it is not a good feeling. The only way to counter this? I spent that Friday night with Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food Ice Cream, a book, a face mask and a bubble bath.

Oh, and a smelly candle. It was like a fun night at a spa. =]

WAY overdue.
Very rejuvenating.

Call it nerding if you like, but there is value in modeling you life after a good Hollandaise sauce, even if it breaks a few times and you have to try again before you get it right.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

*Applause, applause, a bit of cheering and more applause*!!!!