Thursday, October 16, 2008

There may be a rumble coming…

So, I will happily and whole heartedly admit that I am crazy.

Let’s be honest, I embrace the craziness.

However, I have a very hard time with the fact that people that barely know me talk about the craziness and assume it means failure.

I don’t sleep much these days, but I am taking 23 (but more like 30) credits this quarter and that comes with a lot of homework.

Let’s face it, there aren’t enough hours in the day when you spend twenty + hours a week in class and then have about forty hours a week worth of homework for those classes… (mostly just one class)

With that in mind…here is the scenario:

I have a production class with a chef whose second language is English, first is French. He is an amazing teacher, but often hard to understand and likes to ramble. I learn a lot from him, but it is sometimes hard to concentrate on what he is saying (especially when tired).

Thus was the case yesterday, after getting three hours of sleep, working on homework, spending five hours cooking, eating (lobster mashed potatoes…yum!) and then cleaning the kitchen…he wanted to lecture. We were waiting for the people to come back from taking out the trash and I put my head down on the table. When he started lecturing I listened and took notes on EVERYTHING he talked about (relevant to the class of course).

Then, I show up to class today a bit early to find most of the culinary faculty in the kitchen having a discussion. No big deal…the new AD started this quarter and he is trying to get to know the faculty, so this has been happening frequently.

When the meeting breaks up, one of the chefs I like the most comes up to me and wants to talk for a minute. I walk with him to his car while we talk. Apparently the meeting was almost exclusively about me and the number of credits I am taking this quarter and planning on taking next quarter. The chef in my production class wanted to know why I am being allowed to take so many credits because I was sleeping through class (it’s a cooking class—NOT possible!) and ignoring him with glassy eyes when he lectured (took notes on everything!!).

He (the chef) thinks the AD should force me to drop classes and not let me graduate in March. The chef that told me all of this looked at all of them and told them that if they made me drop classes I would transfer. No if, ands or buts about it, I would transfer.

(OMG…lose money because she would leave…let her do it then)

Thus, no one knows that I know this conversation took place, but I know. If chef complains (falsely) anymore there are going to be problems.

(Especially because I am staying on top of all of my homework and still getting A’s)

Thanks for the concern, but I can fake it longer than you think I can. Fake it with the right answer none the less.

It may be craziness, but know that I embrace it.

0 comments: