Thursday, December 4, 2008

One Way I Spend My Down Time…

I was home this past weekend and it was a VERY much needed break. I needed to be away from school and be able to concentrate on other things. My chosen focus…Service.

Christmas is coming, and lets face it, it is hard to buy presents for missionaries. They can’t pack a lot of unnecessary items around with them, so what do you send them?

Candy. Duh.

The cousins and I spent the weekend making candy and truffles for Kyle and some of the other missionaries in his area. It was really fun. Not all of it turned out the way we expected it to, but it all tasted good. =]






Candy wasn’t the only item of business this weekend, because lets be honest, what’s service without a little bonding?

Chris and I went shopping…on Black Friday…oops. We got what we needed without waiting forever, so it all worked out. Then there was the reindeer. TOTALLY COOL!



Then there was Speed Scrabble, the near throwing of “death”, a one man pie eating contest, Kung Fu Panda and musical soundtracks, making messes, cleaning them up and of course swimming.





We would have gotten together anyways, but we got together to do something for someone else. And it wasn’t just the Pecks either. Caleb and Abby came to play along with Marli and cousins from the Weston side. We all came together to make sure our elders know that people at home are thinking about them and the service they are rendering to others.

That’s really what it all comes down to, this holiday season and hopefully every day of our lives. Service to others. It doesn’t have to involve candy or food, but maybe just a few kind words or inviting someone to come and hang out with you… You never know what someone else might need in their life, so be open to the possibilities. It could be as simple as a smile or as relatively time consuming as making them something…

And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
Mosiah 2:17

0 comments: